This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pencil Test

Painting under lines hasn't been working out for me -- was always getting away from the spirit of the drawing -- so I decided what I needed was something halfway between lines and shadow data.  By working under/over/within this "pattern mask" (i.e. the darkest darks) and keeping the original drawing nearby for comparison, I came up with this.



2 comments:

Eric Bloom said...

I'm glad you posted this. I have the same issue going from pencil to paint.

Paul Richards said...

I used to think the problem was me not being at peace with the image taking on a different direction. What THIS is teaching me is that I CAN maintain (at least to a higher degree) my intentions and shape-integrity. In fact, this is VITAL.